Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Another adventure!

Another day, another challenge, another adventure....it certainly has been one of those days since Saturday when Rusty broke his foot. I can't wait to see how this month goes, we've got a lot ahead of us.

Saturday, Rusty broke his foot. We had it confirmed by a vet yesterday. Poor guy is now on bed rest, except when he needs to go outside.

Now let me tell you a little bit about this aussie of mine. He's a very active, 44 pound dog who loves to run. We've been going into the field next to our home to practice agility - working on speeding up our weave poles, doing running contacts, jumping at odd angles. And playing Frisbee and ball. And after we're done with that, when we get home we do some trick training. Then we go back and play some more in the field. Add taking a walk or running by my bike, and you get the picture. He's strong, he's healthy, and he's very active.

The newest challenge to our training, is coming up with things he can do without getting up! I refuse to see this as a detriment, no we're going to go full force ahead. It's not going to be easy, and I'm sure there will be days when I need some encouragement. Regardless, I know this is an opportunity, and I'm going to take it.

Now the next part of my plan is to figure out how to make him more mobile. Rusty and I can't stand to be apart. And with him not being able to walk, I've ended up lugging him around the house with me. If he gains any weight from being down all the time (which he will!) it's going to make it that much harder to take him with me. He actually needs to put on a couple of pounds, he's getting too thin with all that running. It's not that he can't stay - he stays on his pillow very well. It's that I can't let him stay! The last thing I want for him is to be tired, alone, and quiet. That's not my crazy La Bamba. And beyond that, I can see the hurt in his eyes when I walk away.

Whatever it takes, we're going to figure out how to get him up. He can walk on his hind legs with his front ones on my arm, but that's pretty hard on his back, so we need another way of getting around. He also knows how to limp, so we'll try that too. I wonder what he'll think of doing that with his let bandaged up! So my ideas are to come up with a cart for him to push around, or one that he can fit into. I'm even going to go looking at thrift stores for a stroller so we can go on our walks.

Some may think it's crazy. Others may say to just tough it. But I want to over come it. It's not about training - though we'll have some fun with that along the way. It's about the special relationship we share. I just care that much, and so does he.

Any ideas for activities and games he can do while laying down would be appreciated. He's a thinker, and I can tell he's bored. He's got toys that dispense treats, I actually just got him a new one. However, he's so smart they don't last more than a few minutes, and on top of that, he's going to get fat!!! I'm going to have to find some really low calorie treats to give him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

As a trainer and owner of C.O.R.E. Canines (corecanines.com) I enjoy using the most recent positive reinforcement techniques to train my own dogs as well as my students dogs. I love writing, especially when it has to do with dogs! I have a passion for doing all things fun with my two amazing pups. My Australian Shepherd, Rusty - 7 year old, tri color boy. He currently has 16 agility titles. My Border Collie, Lyric - 2 year old black and white girl, known as "Wicked" in agility because of her crazy passion, and "Rikki" in therapy as a sweet snuggle bug.